Psychological Counseling and Guidance Policy
Psychological Counseling and Guidance Department Policy Mission Statement
Hisar Schools believe that every individual has the right to fulfill his/her potential.
The Hisar School counselors advocate for all students to make sure they receive the social and emotional support to recognize and advance their potential. The counseling program enhances learning and provides a developmentally appropriate and accessible support for all members of the Hisar community; the service is available to all students, parents and teachers by providing safe and confidential environment. The counseling team is dedicated to the ethos of Hisar in which students are empowered to be caring, open-minded, respectful, independent, self-confident, sensitive and responsible individuals living successfully in a global community.
Definition of Counseling
Counseling is defined as an early intervention strategy to prevent deterioration in the emotional wellbeing, behaviour and attitude of a child/adolescent/adult. Counseling plays preventive role helping students experiencing developmental and/or psychological problems that require professional support. It provides an opportunity to enhance a young person’s self-esteem and ability to cope more effectively in school and the world outside.
Hisar School follow the principles of the Turkish Ministry of Education which are;
- Respect for Human rights
In light of these principles, we are committed to;
- building a sense of identity and self-worth in each of our students, so that they have a capacity to be creative, they are more likely to assume active roles in social groups, they are less likely to be affected by insecurity or fear, and they are more likely to move more directly towards personal goals. Lastly, they are able to accept differences and still feel positive about themselves,
- developing a well-rounded individual with skills, attitudes, sensibilities and personal initiative that will allow each one to grow into confident adults,
- developing the whole person – morally, intellectually, emotionally, socially and physically – in a caring environment,
- challenging each of our students to achieve the best that they can academically,
- ensuring that each of our students embraces the whole world, community and culture, while at the same appreciating Turkish culture.
We recognize that serving both the school (students, faculty and parents) and the wider community is a cornerstone of our philosophy, and we are committed to developing in each student innovative capabilities to participate in a dynamic global environment.
Purpose of Hisar School Counseling Program
- To support the Hisar school’s mission, philosophy and values.
- To learn and follow the students’ cognitive, social, emotional and physical particularities.
- To implement practices that encompass the diversity of all students.
- To provide non-judgemental support and guidance to all members of school community including parents.
- To provide warm and confidential environment aiming at students’ and other members’ personal development.
- To create a learning environment that meets the needs of all students.
- To encourage the internalization of values and help the school community to apply consistently in order to help build school spirit.
- To identify the students who may be emotionally/socially at risk as early as possible.
- To help students become aware of their own abilities and interests, become informed about educational options and career opportunities.
The Counselors at Hisar School believe that each student:
- will have opportunity to benefit from a comprehensive Pre K-12 counseling program that is closely linked to student learning.
- has unique ways of learning and should be empowered, encouraged and supported towards achieving his/her full personal and academic potential.
School Counselors' Areas, Roles and Responsibilities:
- Individual and group counseling
- Peer and/or adult relationships, coping strategies and social skills
- Communication skills, expressing emotions
- Development of self and understanding other people
- Bullying, coping strategies
- Conflict resolution
- Multicultural awareness
- Crisis intervention
- Referrals to other community resources
- Communication with faculty and parents
- To provide group interventions where there is an emerging behaviour pattern
- Student observation
- Directing to expert if necessary and follow-up
- Parent education via seminars, workshops or bulletins.
Resource Teachers’ Areas, Roles and Responsibilities
- Eliminating barriers to student learning and increasing the maximum benefit for all students.
- Recognizing the different needs, providing an individual learning plan for children with mild learning difficulties, and a close follow up, and evaluation of process.
- Recognizing the different needs, providing an individual educational plan for children with more moderate learning difficulties, a close follow up, evaluation of progress.
- Fostering to build values among the school community members.
- Providing one to one/ peer learning support.
- Supporting class teachers through variety of means to meet the needs of students, such as learning styles and other specified areas.
- Training for faculty if need arises.
- Providing liaison for families to external professionals.
- Supporting and consultation for parents.
Psychological Counseling and Guidance Curriculum
- Guidance curriculum and delivery is essential to helping all students achieve their full academic, social and personal potential. This curriculum’s standards are preventative in nature and developmentally appropriate in grades PreK - 12.
Scope of Psychological Counseling and Guidance Department
The main scope of the department program is the provide the following:
- Educational counseling
- Individual counseling
- Counselors collaborate with students, parents, teachers, and community members as part of a support team that optimizes student achievement.
- Counseling Program enable individuals to achieve their potential both academically and personally. Collaborating with teachers, the counseling department meets the students’ social and emotional needs by creating a supportive learning environment both inside and outside of the classroom to be able to support students become competent and self-confident learners.
- Ongoing professional development activities are essential aspect of an effective counseling program.
- Counselors maintain an ongoing commitment to professional growth by staying current in best practices and participating in program review and implementation.
- Counseling department should be provided with regular opportunities for clinical supervision.
All learning coaches, resource teachers, special ed teachers and counselors should work in collaboration with classroom teachers in their division. We strongly believe that all counseling efforts should be connected with each other as Pre K-12.
As a result of the restructuring of the department, the studies are conducted in accordance with horizontal and vertical integration of the four schools. We are committed to implementing an effective and accessible counseling process between our students, parents and the school community.